[j-nsp] MX80 Sampling - High CPU

Mark Tees marktees at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:40:11 EST 2015

For me on an MX80 running 11.4R13 with samlping that 10 minute equates to:

- around 3mins of rpd + sampling taking turns to smash the routing
engine CPU whilst seeming allowing other things to still be scheduled
in (phew).
- another 7mins of sampling chewing the CPU

I have further tests coming up with an MX80 with full tables where I
will be testing for the 10 mins:

* Reachability to prefixes high in the routing table from neighbouring boxes.
* KRT queue through out the 10 mins
* PFE route specifics for my test prefixes
* route summaries
* While continuously trying to pass traffic through the box.

If there is anything else anyone recommends testing here in regards to
this please let me know.

Mark

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Jordan Whited <jwhited0917 at gmail.com> wrote:
> -idle before, takes 10-15 minutes to settle after full table is ingested
> -1m
> -no 64-bit release for mx80
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Masood Ahmad Shah <masoodnt10 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Jordan,
>>
>> How does CPU utilization looks during these 3 minutes (even a minute
>> before and after)?
>> How many routes (prefixes) you have in the RIB (not just active, the total
>> number of prefixes that are being scanned to find out the best routes
>> "adj-in-rib")?
>> With 14.1R3.5, did you use rpd-64bit or 32bit?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Masood
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Jordan Whited <jwhited0917 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have any issues when sampling is disabled.
>>>
>>> No improvement from what I can tell between 12.3R8.7 and 14.1R3.5. Still
>>> seeing active-paths in the RIB advertised to other neighbors for upwards
>>> of
>>> 3 minutes before they are installed in the FIB.

Regards,

Mark L. Tees