[j-nsp] MX80 Sampling - High CPU

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Thu Jan 15 02:24:46 EST 2015

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Mark Tees wrote:

> For me on an MX80 running 11.4R13 with samlping that 10 minute equates to:
>
> - around 3mins of rpd + sampling taking turns to smash the routing
> engine CPU whilst seeming allowing other things to still be scheduled
> in (phew).
> - another 7mins of sampling chewing the CPU

I get similar behavior across several MX80s on various 11.4 builds with
sampling enabled.  Pretty much anything that causes rpd to walk the entire
RIB leads to this, including policy updates that produce no changes toward
the PFEs.  I watched sampled take well over 20 minutes to settle down
after one of those today, and the RE was basically useless for the
duration...

-Rob