[j-nsp] MX104 Limitations

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jul 9 09:35:43 EDT 2015

On 9/Jul/15 15:27, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
> Interesting facts.
> Now the Juniper MX104 win over Cisco ASR903 (max prefix limit) is not that clear anymore.
>
> Since the chassis is 80Gbps in total I'd assume around 40Gbps towards aggregation and 40Gbps to backbone.
>
> Also if BFD is really not offloaded into HW it would be a bummer on such a slow CPU.
>
> With regards to 1588 I'd like to know if or how anyone deployed this on MPLS backbone if the 4G is in a VRF???
> In other words 1588 runs in GRT/inet.0 so how do you then rely the precise per hop delay/jitter info to a 4G cell which sits in a VRF?
> Never mind that the cell doesn't really need this precision and running 1588 with the server in 4G VRF across the 1588-blind MPLS core is enough.
>
> It seems Juniper is still waiting for a big customer that is not willing to wait for BGP to converge millions of MAC addresses if DF PE fails (PBB-EVPN)

When my MX80's and ASR9001's run out of steam (we use these for peering
and transit), I'll look at the MX104, ASR1006 and ASR9904 as potential
replacements.

I think the MX104 is good enough for peering/transit. I also think it's
good enough for low-speed edge routing, e.g., non-Ethernet.

I'd likely never deploy an MX104 in places where the MX480/960 or the
larger ASR9900 routers are better-suited, i.e., major Ethernet aggregation.

Mark.