[j-nsp] Juniper MX and VZ FIOS question

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Mar 6 00:59:43 EST 2015

On 6/Mar/15 00:34, Chris Evans wrote:
> I'm a FIOS user and they use Juniper MX in many locations (along with E
> series in older installs) and I'm curious of a typical configuration they'd
> be using. WIth FIOS I just have a straight ethernet connection, no logging
> in, no providing user information, etc..
>
> So since i'm not logging in would that still be a BRAS configuration?
> Also they have a feature enabled that poisons ARP entries if you try to put
> a box on the wire that has a different IP than what your DHCP lease is
> given you. What feature would that be?
>
> Very curious how they'd do this. I've only worked with JUNOS boxes in the
> enterprise so I don't have experience with features like this.

Yes, it would still be a BNG solution, but using DHCP (in lieu of PPPoE).

Authentication could be based on several things such as MAC address,
VLAN ID, switch/OLT port, or a combination of them.

The MX as a BNG supports DHCP subscriber management. I'm sure the ERX
does too.

Personally, I prefer DHCP to PPPoE.

Mark.