[j-nsp] RR and VPN on PE L3VPN

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Sat Nov 21 18:44:22 EST 2015

Hi Tim,

About sessions flaps:

Yes, other i-MP-BGP will flap on PE1 once the group with cluster-id configured has a first established neighbor (and will also flap once the last established neighbor goes down in this group).

The solution documented in the link you wrote works (a passive pseudo session with a clusterid), but is an old one. You would better use advertise-from-main-vpn-tables (available since 12.3).

Basically, add advertise-from-main-vpn-tables on the RR, it will make sessions flap once and only once.
http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/reference/configuration-statement/advertise-from-main-vpn-table-edit-protocols-bgp.html <http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/reference/configuration-statement/advertise-from-main-vpn-table-edit-protocols-bgp.html>

Note: if you use GRES+NSR, this doc:
http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/reference/requirements/nsr-system-requirements.html#nsr-bgp <http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/reference/requirements/nsr-system-requirements.html#nsr-bgp>
requests to add advertise-from-main-vpn-tables in bgp config, by the way. Maybe you already have it ?

Note 2: when you configure a cluster id in a group, I guess that all neighbors in this group flap anyway.

Note 3: RR with 3 routers looks overkill :)

Olivier