[j-nsp] exception traffic types for Juniper routers

Alexander Arseniev arseniev at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 1 06:11:17 EDT 2015

Hello,
For the "punted ICMP" stats, use "show system statistics icmp|icmp6".
For the "non-punted" ICMP stats, use "show pfe statistics ip|ip6 icmp".
As a general guidance for ICMP without IP options:
- ICMP error replies are generated on linecards, they are rate-limited
to 50pps per subinterface and 500pps per linecard, this is not configurable
- ICMP non-error replies are generated on RE (Echo, Timestamp, etc),
- ICMP requests are generated on RE, or, in case of RPM, on Services cards.
- by default outgoing ICMP/ICMPv6 packets on RE are rate-limited using
leaky bucket algo, this is configurable:
net.inet.icmp.bucketsize: 5
net.inet.icmp.tokenrate: 1000
net.inet6.icmp6.bucketsize: 5
net.inet6.icmp6.tokenrate: 1000