[j-nsp] MPLS L2VPN Cisco and Juniper

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Apr 19 03:11:30 EDT 2016

On 19/Apr/16 08:59, Mohammad Khalil wrote:

> Hi Mark
> Yes am aware dear , but what made me confused that I read some
> inter-operability issues in one of the forums
> What my customer needs is to build generally l2 VPN circuit and he is
> wondering which to follow
> The main setup is ASR9K and MX which are running in different ASs , so
> what inter-as option will be the more scalable and is there any
> limitation from the ASR9K line card ?

If you're doing straight LDP-based EoMPLS pw's, then this is vanilla.

If you're doing BGP-based EoMPLS pw's that are not VPLS/EVPN, I know
this is what Juniper call(ed) L2VPN. Cisco did not support this back in
the day, but since they now support BGP AD for VPLS/EVPN, there might be
support for this; I'm not sure.

The only time we consider signaling pw's via BGP is if we're doing VPLS
or EVPN, not point-to-point circuits.

Mark.