[j-nsp] ACX2200 - bandwidth control at subinterfaces

Jason Healy jhealy at logn.net
Sat Aug 27 21:29:50 EDT 2016

On Aug 25, 2016, at 10:22 PM, Chris Kawchuk <juniperdude at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you can still shape per-queue (i.e. [edit class-of-service schedulers] best-effort shaping-rate XX;); so, using some output firewall filters, you can put different VLANs into different queues, and shape each queue.

One item of note here from someone who has been trying to shape on the EX/QFX for a while... "output firewall filters" won't work.

Shaping only applies to outbound traffic.  However, you cannot (on the EX platform, anyway) apply a firewall rule on outbound traffic that will classify and then shape that traffic.  I used to have a diagram showing the packet flow on the EX and the "firewall" stage was shown AFTER the "shaping" stage.  In other words, the output firewall is too late to have any effect on classifying packets for shaping.

The firewall filter documentation hints at this:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.2/topics/concept/firewall-filter-ex-series-understanding.html

Note that the firewall points that mention CoS are inbound only.

So you end up having to classify traffic as it arrives on the switch.  With the classification done, you set up schedulers on the egress interfaces as Chris mentioned earlier.

Sorry if that's old news, but figured this might save someone some pain down the line...

Jason