[j-nsp] Tracking Juniper Pluggable Optics

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Jan 6 12:17:07 EST 2016

Heh.  Many years ago I had trouble with a batch of LX optics in my MX
router.  Apparently, some were purchased as EX-SFP-1GE-LX rather than
SFP-1G-LX (I had spare stock in both).  But they both identify as the
same part number in EX and MX (though different model name as you
noted), same OEM and OEM part number (show chassis pic ...), and they
have the same markings on the optic label...  JTAC gave me a bunch of
trouble about RMAing them since they were "EX optics installed in an
MX".  Eventually, the EX business unit had to take responsbility
internally for replacing the optics.  BTW, the "MX" ones exhibited the
same problem as the "EX" ones... it was a problem with the paticular
OEM part.

So apparently, not only do you have to track inventory of part/model
numbers, but HOW THEY WERE ORDERED even though they are IDENTICAL
PARTS.  You have to look at the box they are packaged in to tell the
difference, since once they are out of the box, they look and act
IDENTICALLY.