[j-nsp] MX960 with 3 RE's?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jan 14 16:11:20 EST 2016

On 14/Jan/16 20:55, Jim Troutman wrote:

> I'm also very curious about inexpensive MX480/MX960 10G routing
> options for use as MPLS  P or maybe PE routers.
>
> A surplus dealer recommended the MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP-R-B, which is less
> than $1k/port used.  But it only supports full bandwidth on 12 ports,
> would be oversubscribed 4:3 if all 16 are in use.  They are Trio chipset.

If you can get that line card for that price, I'd take it.

There are some limitations when doing VLAN-based QoS on this particular
line card, but all other features work well.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the throughput on this line card. If
you hit such an issue, you can easily justify the budget for better line
cards.

Mark.