[j-nsp] MX960 with 3 RE's?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 14 17:09:57 EST 2016

On 14 January 2016 at 23:11, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

Hey,

>> A surplus dealer recommended the MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP-R-B, which is less
>> than $1k/port used.  But it only supports full bandwidth on 12 ports,
>> would be oversubscribed 4:3 if all 16 are in use.  They are Trio chipset.

> I wouldn't be too concerned about the throughput on this line card. If
> you hit such an issue, you can easily justify the budget for better line
> cards.

Pretty sure it's as wire-rate as MPC1, MPC2 on SCBE system.

Particularly bad combo would be running with DPCE. Basically any
MPC+DPCE combo is bad, but at least on MPC1/MPC2 systems you can set
the fabric to redundancy mode. But with 16XGE+SCB you probably don't
want to.

There is some sort of policing/limit on how many fabric grands MPC
gives up, like if your trio needs 40Gbps of capacity, and is operating
in normal mode (not redundancy) then it'll give 13.33Gbps of grands to
each SCB.
However as DPCE won't use the third one, DPCE could only send at
26.66Gbps towards that 40Gbps trio. While MPC would happily send
40Gbps to MPC.

--
  ++ytti