[j-nsp] MX960 Power Options

Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr youssef at 720.fr
Tue Jan 26 10:57:40 EST 2016

Hello Colton,

For that kind of devices using lots of C19 plugs and high wattage PSU
(>2kW), you can also go with 400V/30AMP power feeds.

We find that solution more efficient for that particular case, for example
when use power 4 blade chassis in a rack (two chassis per pair of plugsets).

Best regards.

> So from what I gather, there are 4 AC power supplies, and each AC power
> supply has two plugs. So thats not really going to change, its more what
> power to order from the datacenter.
>
> So can I get away with one A side 208V/ 30 AMP circuit and one B side
> 208V/30AMP circuit?
>
> 208V X 30AMP X .80 Max Load = 4,992 watts. That's a lot.
>
> Are you saying I ideally need double this? Why?
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:20 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
>
> > I recommend 4 x 208V.  The MX960 uses "power zones" in a 2+2
> > arrangement where half of the chassis is powered by 2 PEMs, and the
> > other half of the chassis is powered by the other 2 PEMs.  Make sure
> > the 1st PEM for each zone is powered by the A feed, and the 2nd PEM
> > for each zone is powered by the B feed.  For dual-input PEMs, you
> > should put both inputs of a single PEM on the same branch circuit,
> > either A or B.
> >
> > I would use two PDUs to break out the two 208V/30AMP outlets to
> > multiple C19's (plus any C13's you need), and then use C19/C20 cords.
> > Each branch circuit PDU will have 4 C19/C20 cords connected (2 PEMs x
> > 2 inputs per PEM).  Alternatively you could use L6-20 PDU
> > outlets/cords.
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 09:25:02PM -0600, Colton Conor wrote:
> > > What are the options for powering a MX960 using AC power? The
> datacenter
> > > provider is offering us power  in the following options:
> > >
> > > 120V/20AMP A/B Power
> > > 120V/30AMP A/B Power
> > > 208V/30AMP A/B Power
> > >
> > > We are leaning towards using a MX960 with 4 AC power supplies and
> limited
> > > cards installed. More than likely we will order the 208V/30AMP A/B
> Power
> > > from the datacenter, but want to know if this will be enough? What does
> > > Juniper recommend?

Youssef BENGELLOUN-ZAHR