[j-nsp] MX104 won't recognize fpc, mpc and onboard interfaces

Caio caiot5 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 19:31:48 EST 2017

Hello there,

We had a MX104 router in production for a very long time and recently we
replaced it with a brand new MX480 and we took it to our lab in order to
load the default configuration on it and start to configure it over to
another POP.
However, after the factory default it won't recognize the FPC anymore
and/or any inserted MIC or even the onboard SFP+ interfaces.

The license seems to be ok (I will attach the show licenses output below)
and I couldn't find anything to brought it back online, I have tried to
push the Online button with a paper clip and through the command request
chassis fpc / mic online and nothing...
Has anyone been through something like that?
Can anyone shed a light on it ?

Thanks in advance.

*PS:* By looking through the log files I've found just these unusual
strings:
ed_chmic ifpfed_controller ifpfed_ds0 ifpfed_ds1e1 ifpfed_ds3e3
ifpfed_ethkldload: can't load /modules/ifpfe_drvLoading POS driver
/ifpfed_eth.ko: Exec format error

and

CHASSISD_IFDEV_DETACH_FPC: ifdev_detach_fpc(0)
Dec 21 20:30:07 2017  RT_SRR-CORE chassisd[1556]:
CHASSISD_IFDEV_DETACH_FPC: ifdev_detach_fpc(1)
Dec 21 20:30:07 2017  RT_SRR-CORE chassisd[1556]:
CHASSISD_IFDEV_DETACH_FPC: ifdev_detach_fpc(2)

Command outputs below:

> show system license usage

                                 Licenses     Licenses    Licenses    Expiry

  Feature name                       used    installed      needed

  scale-subscriber                      0         1000           0
 permanent

  scale-l2tp                            0         1000           0
 permanent

  scale-mobile-ip                       0         1000           0
 permanent

  MX104-2x10Gig-port-0-1                0            1           0
 permanent

  MX104-2x10Gig-port-2-3                0            1           0
 permanent

> show chassis fpc

                     Temp  CPU Utilization (%)   CPU Utilization (%)
 Memory    Utilization (%)

Slot State            (C)  Total  Interrupt      1min   5min   15min  DRAM
(MB) Heap     Buffer

  0  Empty

  1  Empty

  2  Empty

> request chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 0 online

FPC slot 0 is empty

> request chassis pic fpc-slot 1 pic-slot 0 online

FPC slot 1 is empty

> request chassis pic fpc-slot 2 pic-slot 0 online

FPC slot 2 is empty

> show chassis hardware

Hardware inventory:

Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description

Chassis                                XXXXX             MX104

Midplane         REV 51   750-XXXXXX   CAEXXXXX          MX104

PEM 0            REV 05   740-XXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXX       DC Power Entry
Module

PEM 1            REV 05   740-XXXXXX   XXXXXXXXX       DC Power Entry Module

Routing Engine 1 REV 09   750-XXXXXX   CAFBXXXXX          RE-MX-104

AFEB 0                    BUILTIN      BUILTIN           Forwarding Engine
Processor

Fan Tray 0       REV 03   711-XXXXXX   CAET8414          Fan Tray

> show interfaces terse

Interface               Admin Link Proto    Local                 Remote

dsc                     up    up

em0                     up    up

em0.0                   up    up   inet     10.0.0.5/8

                                            128.0.0.1/2

                                            128.0.0.5/2

                                   inet6    fe80::201:ff:fe00:5/64

                                            fec0::a:0:0:5/64

                                   tnp      0x5

em1                     up    up

fxp0                    up    down

gre                     up    up

ipip                    up    up

jsrv                    up    up

jsrv.1                  up    up   inet     128.0.0.127/2

lo0                     up    up

lo0.16384               up    up   inet     127.0.0.1           --> 0/0

lo0.16385               up    up   inet

lsi                     up    up

me0                     up    up

mtun                    up    up