[j-nsp] logical system in production - MX960

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Sep 25 09:44:03 EDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 07:10:47AM -0500, Aaron Gould wrote:
> A few questions about logical systems. related to a new 5-node MX960 100 gig
> ring.
>
> Do you all use logical systems in your production environment ?

I do.

> Do you contain your core P functions inside of an lsys ?

My network is rather small and combines P/PE functions, so I guess the
answer is "yes".

> Is the master/hosting lsys completely absent of any and all provider routes,
> and does it only contain a simply management interface (fxp) and not much
> more than that ?

No, I use the main systems to run my LAN and a single WAN lsys on each
MX480.  They are interconnected by my firewalls.

> If you were deploying a 5-node MX960 mpls core for an ISP, would you deploy
> lsys's from the start and put the core routing inside an lsys ?

Maybe, but there are some limitations.  Some things don't work in
lsys, such as port-mirroring & inline-jflow sampling (although support
for the latter is supposed to be there in the latest Junos
releases--it was buggy/crashy and I had to turn it off).

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/logical-systems-restrictions.html