[j-nsp] QFX 5100 can you mix vlan-ccc + vlan-bridge on the same interface with 14.1X53-D43.7

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Thu Sep 28 15:57:05 EDT 2017

     Well problem[S],

     That why I'm looking to see if our lab is working out of luck,
because we're mixing vlan-bridge and vlan-ccc units on the same ae0 and
xe-*, and everything is fine for over a month of burn testing.

     Thanks for your time.

-----

The context,

     Our 17.x lab of QFX with a MX240 and vMX is working fine.

     We got a pretty good MPLS alphabet soup recipe ready for
production.  MPLS+ISIS+BGP Underlay, aeX + vlan-bridge + ccc mixing
together, EVPN+VXLAN on their own port, VRFs, without any data plane
drama, etc.

     So taking from that success...

The problem,

     We're running some QFX5100 in VCF in production, with 14.x, and
added a VLAN-CCC on a port with other unit's in VLAN-BRIDGE which pretty
much made the data plane hate us about 10h later, when we tried to
figure out why there was no data thru that circuit.

     And by hating, I mean spewing ~300k/pps of unknowned traffic badly
encapsulated.

     ( The fix was delete the port configuration, commit, rollback 2,
commit )

     Jeff pretty much pointed us to a PR mentioning that type of
behavior on 14.x train...

The solution,

     Was to hairpin 2 ports on the QFX5100/VCF stack.  1 port being only
the 2 vlan-ccc and the other being the 2 vlan-bridge of the VLANs we
wanted to CCC out of that aeX.

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443