[j-nsp] Going Juniper

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Tue Apr 10 01:42:28 EDT 2018

I'm literally up working right now in a maintenance window throwing one of
my cable modem cmts communities behind my pair of mx104's... I'm excited to
finally start natting my cable modems...

Previously I have natted all 6,000 of my dsl customers behind this same pair
of mx104's.

I do cgnat via mpls l3vpn's.  it's quite nice as I inject a default route (2
of them) from each mx104, into the cgnat vrf domain, and all my PE's begin
flowing all outbound traffic via the nat boxes.

I understand the MS-MIC-16G cgnat module inside my mx104's can do about 7
million translations and about 7.5 gbps of cgnat throughput.  X2 for both
mx104's in my cgnat arechitecture. (so 15 gbps of nat44 total)

I recall paying about $25k for each MX104 with single RE and one MS-MIC-16G
module, and I think a license that allows for 20 gbps (two 10 gig) ports to
be used.  I simply agg-ether those 2 interfaces and plump them into the P
core and do nat-on-a-stick via 20 gbps of link capacity.

-Aaron

p.s. ftth cgnat will be done via my new mx960's w/MS-MPC-128G's