[j-nsp] Carrier interfaces and hold timers

Jonathan Call lordsith49 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 19:01:47 EDT 2018

Anyone have experience with hold timers?

For the first time in my experience I have a carrier asking me to implement 3 second hold timers on their interface to deal with their link constantly flapping. They're citing this document as proof that it needs to be done:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/hold-time-edit-interfaces.html

I'm extremely dubious of this requirement since I've never had a carrier ask for this and our router is a pretty old MX80 which does not have a lot of buffer space.  But then again, maybe packet drops due to buffer overflow are better than carrier transitions and the resulting BGP teardown and rebuild.

Regards,

Jonathan