[j-nsp] Mixing v4/v6 in other places (was Re: Mixing v4/v6 neighbors in BGP groups)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 16 02:29:54 EDT 2018

On 15/Aug/18 18:10, Rob Foehl wrote:

> Are you doing anything differently in your IGP?  (Okay, a bit of a
> loaded question, I know...)  What about LDP and/or RSVP transport?

IS-IS, single Level-2 domain, MT support enabled.

We run LDP only.

> How are you handling v6 TE -- nothing yet, 6PE, inet6 shortcuts,
> native v6 LSPs, waiting for SR to take over the world, something
> else?  Which Junos release(s) were necessary to get there?

We don't do TE.

> I'm still carrying v6 traffic around natively, though not sure how
> much longer that'll be workable.  6PE seems like a step backward when
> the network is already 100% v6 enabled, but then I haven't quite
> wrapped my head around all of the options here...  Thanks in advance
> for any clue.

6PE, IMHO, would be a step backward. We sleep well at night knowing that
IPv4 and IPv6 are both running native, ships-in-the-night. I'd rather
not have one protocol depending on the other to survive.

Same reason why we separate the BGP routing policies between both protocols.

Mark.