[j-nsp] 208v power and 110...

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed May 9 13:48:16 EDT 2018

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 10:38:50AM -0700, mike+jnsp at willitsonline.com wrote:
> My system has the 'high line' 208v power supplies and this is my first
> time dealing with non-110v ac power. I have the two power supplies
> installed and I am thinking I may want to add a switch to this
> configuration and to date, I have no experience with any switches using
> this high of juice. I'm looking for something with 10G sfp+ interfaces
> and I'm just at a loss as this is a different world. Is the strategy in
> this situation that I need to commit to everything being high voltage,
> or do I get a power strip of some kind to feed my 110v stuff?

Almost all gear of this nature in the last decade or two has
auto-sensing power supplies so they can switch automatically from 120V
to 208V to 240V depending on where they are in the world.

Most likely you can run your existing 120V gear at 208V without a
problem, BUT OF COURSE CHECK OUT THE SPECS on what you have to make
sure this is possible.

If you have your 208V feeds coming out to a power strip with C19 and C13
outlets, you just need to have the appropriate power cord to go from
your gear to the C13 outlet and run it at 208V.

Running 208V only is very standard in many data center environments. Not
much to be scared about.

NB: You use the same amount of "juice" on 208V, your voltage is higher, but
your current is lower. So less risk of heating up the wires, less current
flowing in the wires, etc.

Its only when the voltage goes into the 480V range that you have to
worry about a whole new world of problems.