[j-nsp] MX204

Nathan Ward juniper-nsp at daork.net
Mon May 14 17:53:26 EDT 2018

Hi,

Single RE - but it’s fast, much much faster than the MX80/MX104

You can’t use all ports at once - if you want to use the 10G ports, you need to sacrifice one of the 100G ports - to stop oversubscription. I got the impression there was a knob to allow it but I couldn’t make it work, and, didn’t need it :)

My understanding is BNG isn’t supported etc. at the moment.

I guess with no MIC hole, you can’t put an MS-MIC in there for CGN/whatever, if you care about that.

Otherwise seems like a pretty good box for a bunch of scenarios, at what seems like quite a reasonable price.

It’s just above the level where it’s too fast for software routers, so, can imagine in.. maybe 2-3 years, the new release same performance box is virtualised.