[j-nsp] EX4550 L3VPN

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Wed May 30 07:48:01 EDT 2018

Please tell me if it's normal that I have to reboot a EX4550 (pair of them, virtual chassis) to get it to forward, after enabling a routing-instance of type vrf (aka mpls l3vpn)

Strange, after enabling igp (ospf), mpls, ldp, mp-ibgp and vrf/l3vpn, the l3vpn control plane looked fine locally and remotely... All seemed fine, except no forwarding.  I had a great JTAC engineer knee deep in the pfe, and he couldn't figure out what was wrong.... We rebooted it and bammo, it started forwarding.  That was the lab test.

Today, I did it on my data center 4550, and I'm seeing the same thing. I haven't rebooted this one yet though.  Having second thoughts of l3vpn prime-time on the 4550 and might haul it L2 to my neighboring MX960

Aaron