[j-nsp] Opinions on fusion provider edge

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Nov 6 13:39:31 EST 2018

Hey Richard,

I think there are two separate issues here. Lot of people looking at
Fusion aren't choosing it for technology, they are choosing it for
media, as 1GE L3 ports are not available. So options are

a) L2 aggregation
b) Fusion
c) Wait for JNPR to release some MX244 with 4xQSFP28 + 40xSFP+ box,
which has attractive pay-as-you-go for 1GE deployments.

I'm sure there is another set of problems where EVPN and Fusion are
competition options, but for service providers fusion's value proposal
mainly is low rate ports, ports which Cisco and Juniper do not really
offer anymore on L3 devices.

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 19:21, Richard McGovern <rmcgovern at juniper.net> wrote:

> I might suggest you look at an EVPN based design instead.  This is going to be Juniper's #1 go to in the future.  I believe things like Junos Fusion and MC-LAG, etc. may still be supported, but secondary to EVPN and associated features.
>
> What is your planned SD devices?  QFX5???
>
> Richard McGovern
> Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
> 978-618-3342
>

> On 11/5/18, 8:32 PM, "Eldon Koyle" <ekoyle+puck.nether.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     What kind of experiences (good or bad) have people had with Juniper's
>     Fusion Provider edge?  Are there any limitations I should be aware of?
>
>     I'm looking at it to simplify management in a campus network environment
>     and to use features that are only available on the MX currently.
>
>     --
>     Eldon
>     --
>     I don't think the universe wants me to send this message

  ++ytti