[j-nsp] Opinions on fusion provider edge

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Tue Nov 6 13:41:27 EST 2018

To run EVPN on QFX5100 yes you need extra license – PFL (the less expensive option).  NOTE: PFL and AFL always confusing to me, as which is more!!

You could then run the EX4300 connections as an ESI-LAG, versus MC-LAG – has advantages of standards based, can scale horizontally in the core, and AnyCast GW so no VRRP (vs MC-LAG).  Of course with EVPN design you lose the single point of management, BUT with automation, scripting, use of Ansible/etc. this becomes secondary anyway, at least IMHO.

Good news is you do have multiple choices, which might be bad news as well -😊  For me, EVPN is the way to go, along with as much automation as possible.  I think in the end, you’ll find more EVPN based deployments, vs Fusion (and MC-LAG) for new deployments.

I assume you are staying with MX Core because already there, and because no matter what you may need it has it, . . . which comes at a higher price point.

Good luck.

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342