[j-nsp] qfx5100 software upgrades and virtual-chassis

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Thu Sep 6 14:23:14 EDT 2018

> On Sep 6, 2018, at 1:11 PM, Nitzan Tzelniker <nitzan.tzelniker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you cant afford taking down the whole VC do not work with VC
> This is my philosophy with VC
> Do MC-LAG or EVPN in these environment (even with VC just to increase the number of ports )

This is now my philosophy as well. Just working on cleaning up the mess w/as little impact as I can.

> Regarding the host they dont have to be the same unless there is a known issue
>
> From https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/qfx-series-software-upgrading.html
> However, pay attention to these notes regarding Junos OS and Host OS versions:
> 	• The Junos OS and Host OS versions do not need to be the same.
> 	• During an ISSU, the Host OS cannot be upgraded.
> 	• Upgrading the Host OS is not required for every software upgrade, as noted above.

Yes, and clarification from JTAC is that they need to be the same major version, which doesn't sound unreasonable.

Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/

Making life more interesting for people since 1977