[j-nsp] qfx5100 software upgrades and virtual-chassis

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Thu Sep 6 14:47:20 EDT 2018

Louis, for reason (I assume some issue) is TAC saying that a host-upgrade solves something?  I also assume from Junos SW point of view, you plan to stay with 14.1X53-D43, yes?

BTW, in the future solution to this is to perform Host Upgrade at same time as Junos Upgrade, using the force-host option - https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/qfx-series-software-upgrading-cli.html

Best of luck, Rich

On 9/6/18, 2:23 PM, "Louis Kowolowski" <louisk at cryptomonkeys.org> wrote:

    > On Sep 6, 2018, at 1:11 PM, Nitzan Tzelniker <nitzan.tzelniker at gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > If you cant afford taking down the whole VC do not work with VC
    > This is my philosophy with VC
    > Do MC-LAG or EVPN in these environment (even with VC just to increase the number of ports )

    This is now my philosophy as well. Just working on cleaning up the mess w/as little impact as I can.

    > Regarding the host they dont have to be the same unless there is a known issue
    >
    > From https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/qfx-series-software-upgrading.html
    > However, pay attention to these notes regarding Junos OS and Host OS versions:
    > 	• The Junos OS and Host OS versions do not need to be the same.
    > 	• During an ISSU, the Host OS cannot be upgraded.
    > 	• Upgrading the Host OS is not required for every software upgrade, as noted above.

    Yes, and clarification from JTAC is that they need to be the same major version, which doesn't sound unreasonable.

    Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
    Cryptomonkeys:                                   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cryptomonkeys.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=cViNvWbwxCvdnmDGDIbWYLiUsu8nisqLYXmd-x445bc&m=SwXGavYoXMX7_3ONE2EFDbM6qqRplmC0qoQHLrDr_HI&s=TRlgGH-vOckvzTgRz3rVHAdHuIz4wUvhYEmam8MKFas&e=

    Making life more interesting for people since 1977