[j-nsp] "set routing-options protect core" breaks local-preference

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Sep 11 15:26:52 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 01:54:45PM +0100, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:
> With regards to Gert's caveat "we're too small to build a lab..."
> There are two kinds of testing that can be done,
> 1) concept testing
> 2) performance and scale testing
>
> Virtual lab is perfect for concept testing
> -concept testing -to test various routing concepts -like what happens to my core routing if I enable "set routing-options protect core".
> In fact it is much easier to simulate the network in its entirety in a virtual environment than trying to simulate small sections of the network using a handful of physical devices.

This is ok for *concept* testing, but it won't work for "will this actually
work on device type <x> out in the field?" if you look at the number of
strange bugs that only affect certain hardware variants - like, "this
works on MX, but not on QFX".

Otherwise I agree, having virtual labs is good, running performance POC
tests on particular devices is good - but it just won't catch all the
nasty surprises you hit at upgrade time.

gert