[j-nsp] Netflow config for MX204

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Apr 17 04:47:50 EDT 2020

On 17/Apr/20 09:49, Saku Ytti wrote:

> No management port is revenue port, and will kill your flow export, if
> flow export is supported directly from the NPU. Because if it works,
> it means NPU has to _punt_ the traffic to control-plane, to export it.
> Where as if NPU supports exporting off the NPU, then exporting from
> non-revenue ports can be done without touching control-plane or
> stealing punt capacity.
> If flow is exported by the RE, it's much less important.
>
> I would personally not use any RE attached ETH port for any purpose.
> However I'd happily use ASR9k CMP port or Cisco 8k BMC port for
> out-of-band.

This is what we do in our network. We don't use any control plane ports
for anything.

The farthest we go is attach a serial cable to the console port and back
into a terminal server, for out-of-band access.

fxp0 and such ports are shutdown to disable the alarms that assume they
should always be connected :-).

Mark.