[j-nsp] MX304 - Edge Router

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Oct 25 09:44:57 EDT 2023

On 10/25/23 15:36, Gert Doering via juniper-nsp wrote:

> There goes another vendor...
>
> Now, if the base price would have been *lowered* by the amount the
> L3 features of a *MX router* cost extra now, this might have been an
> option... but for my understanding, the base MX304 is already insanely
> pricey, and then add licenses on top...  nah, taking our money elsewhere.

Based on quotes we've seen so far, 75% of the list price of an MX304 is
just the license for the entire chassis (separate from the line cards
and without support).

> Did I mention Arista is not spending valuable engineer time on all this
> license shit, but on actually making great products?

What is the current experience of the code for IP/MPLS functions that go
beyond simply peering and transit, i.e., high-touch edge?

Mark.