[j-nsp] MX304 - Edge Router

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Oct 25 10:00:00 EDT 2023

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 03:44:57PM +0200, Mark Tinka via juniper-nsp wrote:
> > Did I mention Arista is not spending valuable engineer time on all this
> > license shit, but on actually making great products?
>
> What is the current experience of the code for IP/MPLS functions that go
> beyond simply peering and transit, i.e., high-touch edge?

What is "high-touch edge" for you?

Most things we could come up with do work, with the notable exception
of MAC accounting (or inclusion of MAC addresses in sflow/ipfix) - but
here the ASR9000 is one of the few platforms on the market that can
actually do it.  So more of a chip limitation.

We don't do extremely demanding QoS things, but basic shaping and policing
works fine on the new J2c+ boxes.  So not sure where the limits are.

Of course it's merchant silicon boxes, but the J2c chips have become
really impressive.

gert