[j-nsp] gNMI on MX960

Ebben Aries exa at juniper.net
Thu Mar 7 13:54:53 EST 2024

> "UNKNOWN:Error received from peer ipv4:10.4.0.78:30030
> {grpc_message:"Qos not supported", grpc_status:12,
> created_time:"2024-03-07T16:20:41.756921+01:00"}"

This would imply that the `qos` field is likely being populated in your
request message:

https://github.com/openconfig/gnmi/blob/master/proto/gnmi/gnmi.proto#L266

Which is unsupported in our implementation atm. (NOTE: there are various
fields within the APIs that could range in support across
implementations and/or may be on a path of deprecation and are also not
mandatory)

Am I to assume your JSON config is for the gnmi input plugin for
telegraf and is the complete config?  I don't belive this plugin
supports the qos field either so can you share the precise version you
are testing with?

How about results with another client such as gNMIc targeting this same
path?

The OpenConfig path `/interfaces/interface/state/counters` is supported
on the version you are indicating

> set system services extension-service request-response grpc
> skip-authentication

Remove this knob - it is unnecessary and will be removed at some point
in the near future.  For now (and this plugin), the username/password
would be populated as gRPC metadata (HTTP2 headers)

> Okay, I see a lot of paths starting with /junos/ but no openconfig
> paths there (like the one I'm testing
> /interfaces/interface/state/counters). Don't know if that's expected.

In your current version, we did not enumerate all supported paths in
this config completion.  Note, this portion of the implementation is
also separate from the gNMI side but can glean some level of "path
support"

You can also use the following command (currently hidden today as we
rework it's intent)

  show agent sensor-capability

> Huh okay that's weird, Junos 21.2R3 is not listed at all on that page,
> even though 20.2 and 20.4 are? But that might be a hint, I'll try one
> of the releases from that page that have support for the path I want!

Our classical telemetry explorer may give you inaccurate results for the
data you are looking for unfortunately.  This is reworked into the
following rather:

https://apps.juniper.net/ydm-explorer/

However applies to more recent versions.

In either case, the path you are looking for right now, is supported on
the version you are describing - issue is most likely how the request
message is constructed in the gNMI subscribe RPC

> You may want to try to use a UDP based sensor instead

If the goal is gNMI, then I suggest sticking with that.  If you want to
eliminate any TLS for testing/troubleshooting, then you can swap out
your `ssl` hierarchy under the extension-service config for the hidden
`clear-text` variant.