[Outages-discussion] Issues with VoIP over Verizon FiOS

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Dec 9 15:17:13 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dovid Bender" <dovid at telecurve.com>

> We have clients on Verizon Fios that are randomly having issues with packet
> loss on some calls. When there is a problem there is only one device that
> has the issue, meaning that we can have five people on the phone and only
> one user has the packet loss. If it was just one office we could blame the
> local network for the specific phone. If it was happening to all phones for
> one or more FiOS customers then we could blame FiOS routing however the
> issue seems to be one random phone in every office that has packet loss
> (regardless if anyone else is on the phone or not).

A cow-orker of mine has proven (to his own satisfaction and mine) that some
problems in this category can be attributed to Verizon's outright refusal to
buy enough transit/provision a large enough peering connection to adjacent
networks in specific places.

Well, "peering" was his contribution; I believe I got "outright refusal" from
backchatter on NANOG.  :-)

You might want to do some traces with MTR or PingPlotter and see if you can nail
down where your losses are happening.

Cheers,
-- jra