[Outages-discussion] [outages] Vandalism of CenturyLink fibre in Arizona causes large outage footprint.

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Thu Feb 26 21:22:29 EST 2015

First, I think it's pretty irresponsible for any provider to not have
physical diversity. It's also pretty irresponsible for all the other people
leasing fiber from that provider to not have diverse connections. If you
only lease 1 pair of fibers out of your area and they get cut, it's not the
fiber owner's fault you're down.

Regarding CL's performance on this outage....

The information we're getting is second-hand from various official and
unofficial sources. I don't know about others here, but it's not uncommon
for management to translate what I say into "official" statements and
mangle it all up. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the CL spokesman
embellished with the "mile by mile" bit. Talking heads like to talk; it's
what they do.

I don't know the area personally, but from the videos I've seen, it looks
pretty remote. In my part of the country, fiber assets have been sold and
resold many times over the years. If the original staking sheets have been
lost, or maybe never even existed, they might not be 100% sure where to
dig. Many times the locals have a better idea than the carriers where the
fiber is, because they remember when it was installed.

The various news reports say the outage was at noon and services started
coming back online by 6:30pm. They had to identify the issue, roll crews to
locate the outage, discover the cause, dispatch the splicing crews, dig up
the cable, prep the splice cases, and start splicing. 6.5 hours from cut to
start splicing doesn't seem out of line to me.