[Outages-discussion] [outages] Vandalism of CenturyLink fibre in Arizona causes large outage footprint.

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Feb 26 22:29:45 EST 2015

I agree with you, I think CL got it repaired quite quickly.

If our business customers ask I readily answer that if the local loop should break for any reason that they should mentally budget 6 to 8 hours for repair, especially outside of regular business hours.   If the customer is not comfortable with that then we talk about physical diversity options.   We’ll try to get it done quicker, but my (from the office) experience is that before field techs get into the area and fiber splicer en route it easily takes 30  to 60 minutes.  Then you hope they can find the break – if it’s a backhoe job then it’s pretty quick, but if it’s a mouse in ped it may take a bit more investigative work.  If it’s a groundhog then you almost sure have to go and shoot it.  Maybe you’re lucky and you only have to shoot one end while the field tech drives around looking for holes.  Anyways, you get the picture – a lot of time can pass before you find the area.  If it’s a backhoe job you have the people to make the hole(s) bigger or dig things up where you want to splice it.  If it’s a groundhog, well, then you got to find a backhoe and get them onsite, such that you can be at the three hour mark and you haven’t even started prepping the fiber.

Frank