[Outages-discussion] Mod: Clarification on Scope

Jeremy Charles JCharles at epic.com
Fri Mar 10 09:13:20 EST 2017

When we're talking about national or international carriers, a "me too" on the mailing list from an additional major telecom region is helpful to understand the scope/reach of the problem.  If I know that $carrier has a far-reaching outage, it may explain why I lost connectivity to a bunch of my customers around the same time.  That'll decrease the amount of time I waste looking at my own equipment.

If one is posting on the list, they really should have enough of an understanding to realize that a "me too" from southern Wisconsin on a major carrier meltdown in Chicago isn't helpful, but a "me too" from Minneapolis or Atlanta is very meaningful.

IMHO, the original poster should wait more than "a few days" to understand the longer-term behavior of the community before raising a stink about it.

Recall the old adage:  Be liberal in what you accept, conservative in what you send.