[Outages-discussion] Azure Outageks

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 6 17:28:37 EDT 2018

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Seth Mattinen" <sethm at rollernet.us>

> On 9/5/18 7:26 PM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
>> Yes, neither of those are acceptable explanation is for a data center of
>> this size going off-line for 37 hours.
>
> The size of a datacenter is not a metric for reliability. If anything,
> the larger and more complex a systems is, the longer it will take to
> restore.

The size of a DC is a proxy for the size of the company operating it,
which is in turn a proxy for the amount of resources they're expected to
be able to bring to bear in increasing overall uptime.  Even in the face
of increased complexity.

Or at least, those are both reasonable expectations to have from the outside.

Cheers,
-- jra