[Outages-discussion] [outages] Explosion in Nashville

Matthew Petach matt at petach.org
Fri Dec 25 14:52:07 EST 2020

Just to -discussion;

Prior to the explosion, you can hear a recorded voice on the
security camera repeating (3x)

"All buildings in this area must be evacuated now"

followed by the same voice repeating 2x:

"If you can hear this message, evacuate now!"

It would certainly seem to be carefully pre-planned to
minimize injury and death, if they're repeatedly warning
people to evacuate the area before the explosion occurs.

I find myself mulling over what purpose is there to warn
people of the blast ahead of time?

If you're a business owner, crushed by the pandemic,
perhaps destroying your business, collecting insurance,
and moving on might be a motive, and one in which you
would honestly seek to ensure nobody was hurt in the
process.  If you're caught, insurance fraud is much less
of a weight on your conscience than manslaughter.

It really doesn't seem like a very terrorist-like move to
warn people to clear the area ahead of time so they
won't be hurt.

Best of luck to all those working to clean up the mess
on Christmas day today.  No matter the reason behind
the explosion, it's still mucked up a bunch of good people's
holiday plans.  :(

Stay safe out there!

Merry Christmas!

Matt