[outages] RFC: Formal Ticket Tracking System for outages.org

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:43:09 EDT 2008

> It has been proposed (by me :-) that we actually set up a ticket
> tracker for keeping tabs on outages, with companion -notify and
> -discuss mailing lists, as below.
>
> Opinions on this idea, and volunteers to set it up or host it are
> hereby (unofficially) solicited.

I am in support of this idea for the following reason:

There has been a small history of what I will call marginally on topic.
These discussions, though somewhat interesting, don't accomplish much more
than to raise my--already heavy--email load.  With a ticketing system and
companion -notify list this would not be an issue.

The valid scope of what belongs on the list is clearly a matter of
consensus/opinion and will likely never be satisfactorily addressed for
everyone.  With a ticketing system, outages that are in-scope may be
subscribed to, with discussion taking place in the comments while those
that are out of scope are only a single notification and much less of a
bother.

Note: I'm familiar primarily with Bugzilla, but I can only assume that
OTRS and RT have similar subscription/commenting features.

Thanks,

~JasonG