[outages] RFC: Formal Ticket Tracking System for outages.org

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jul 3 15:31:45 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 01:43:09PM -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> The valid scope of what belongs on the list is clearly a matter of
> consensus/opinion and will likely never be satisfactorily addressed for
> everyone.  With a ticketing system, outages that are in-scope may be
> subscribed to, with discussion taking place in the comments while those
> that are out of scope are only a single notification and much less of a
> bother.
>
> Note: I'm familiar primarily with Bugzilla, but I can only assume that
> OTRS and RT have similar subscription/commenting features.

Well, my initial approach was to add the notify list to each ticket, so
that all comments added to the actual ticket would go to notify.

It sounds like you are suggesting that *only the initial Ticket Open
message* go to notify, and anyone who wants to know about specific
tickets can log into OTRS, and add themseves to that ticket, do I have
that right?

Me personally, I'm the sort of person who might want to see *all*
ticket traffic on my blackberry, instead of only the Open messages...

but it's possible that this could be handled by OTRS itself; as a
signed-up user, I could watch the queue in question, and let that
mechanism send me the messages, while -notify only got the initial
Ticket Open messages.  I have to go check the manual, I'm not a wizard
on OTRS yet.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.