[outages] List comment

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Tue Jun 24 20:54:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Dan York wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:44:22 EDT, Christian Blair said:
>>
>>> We don't need everyone's traceroute.
>>> Hardly useful for others anyway unless they're your roommate.
>>
>> Actually, you have that backwards.
>>
>> If somebody posts a traceroute from a vastly different network location,
>> that tells you something.
>

> I think the question really is - is this list designed for *reporting* and
> confirming outages?  Or is it designed for *diagnosing*/discussing/
> troubleshooting outages?
>
> If someone reports an outage, there is a degree of working with the reporter
> to confirm the outage that is necessary.  (i.e. "AIM isn't working for me"
> and others either confirming or saying that it does work for them.)  There
> have, though, been a couple of threads where this exchange has seemed to go
> on for a bit more than simple confirmation and dived more into
> troubleshooting.
>
> The "reporting/confirming" type of list is a lower-traffic kind of list
> that's more announcement/alert-oriented.  The "diagnosing/discussing" type of
> list could be a much higher-traffic list.    Both are worthwhile types of
> lists to have... but they also may attract different subscribers.
>
> Based on a couple of comments I've seen here, I think some folks may have
> signed up thinking they were getting the first type of list and are less
> interested in the second type of list.  They may be more interested in
> "alerts" and not interested in "discussion".
>
> I don't have a great solution to offer... I think the "community" here is
> probably too new to split into separate "alerts" and "discussion" lists.  I
> also personally don't care which type of list it is.  But I would suggest
> this difference in expectations is perhaps at the route of the original
> comment and others that have been on the list.

I think you covered it best. While outages does have some operational
troubleshooting and peer-support going on, it is under the same threads.

While imperfect, I agree completely that the community is too new to
split. I think peer moderation and mail filters worked pretty good for us
so far.

Let's see if it keeps working, then I guess we can turn to
meta-discussion.