[rbak-nsp] IS-IS P2P interfaces

Mariano Juliá mjuliaq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 05:39:44 EDT 2009

2009/10/27 Ian Calderbank <ian at calderbankconsulting.co.uk>

> don't use ISIS :-)
> seriously, this is the only way to do it, there is no way to change
> interface type without delete and recreate.

I was hoping for a hidden IS-IS knob :-(

if you do it all in one go and get it right first commit , you may not get
> much of an outage (I assume its a live interface is why you're wary of
> deleting) but you're bound to drop something.

We had very bad experiences deleting/adding interfaces on a single commit
transaction, so much, that we now do it in two commits as standard practice.
The interfaces I have to change are around 50-60, with LDP, BFD, OSPF which
is why I cannot understand how IS-IS p2p was implemented this way.

> I'd do it in a network maintenance window.

It will be a looong and painful one, I hope Ericsson comes out with another
solution for future releases

Thanks,
Mariano