[VoiceOps] 10 digit craziness

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Tue Dec 22 16:32:10 EST 2009

On 12/22/09 1:31 PM, Peter Beckman wrote:
> I'm kinda sick of all of us US-based folk thinking we don't have to use
> our country code. I think all wholesale VoIP providers, even if they just
> handle US/Canada, should require the use of the leading country code for
> all
> calls, NANPA-terminated included, and for origination that CallerID should
> ALWAYS include the country code.

I agree that country code plus number is the bare minimum, but I've only
run into one carrier that refused to ("couldn't") do that.  Ironic
because they also do international origination, so calls are delivered
to us without any way to know if they are US area+number or country+number.

> You know how hard it is to standardize, both internally and globally,
> when most telecom providers only support 10 digit caller ID? What about
> the UK? What about China? And when callerID comes in, and it doesn't
> conform to NANPA NPANXXXXXX, what country IS it from? I can guess, but
> I'd like to know, not guess.

I've never run into an issue with the CID side of things.  I don't think
it's that important, but maybe others do.  We just pass it along as it is.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve

Advanced phone services simplified