[VoiceOps] Bring Your Own Bandwidth/Network

anorexicpoodle anorexicpoodle at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 13:56:43 EDT 2009

We do exclusively BYOB and have had great success with it, but you do
need to have a game plan in case of an ISP that doesn't play nice (one
particularly large cable provider comes to mind....). We have found that
often times it takes some extra time and leg work on the part of your
support staff either conferenced in with the customer and ISP or arming
a tech savvy customer with enough information to get problems fixed.
Additionally your customers need to be aware that your service will only
be as successful as their ISP.

Generally for residential customers since cost is such an issue we leave
it up to the Router/ATA but for business customers we make pretty
extensive use of Edgemarcs since it gives us some assurance that the LAN
is at least handling the traffic properly as well as providing MOS
scoring and a place to run captures from the far end for diagnosing
issues.

IMO if you are limiting your voice network to only your controlled
network segments, you might as well just be a regular LEC.