[VoiceOps] Crazy bouncy month

anorexicpoodle anorexicpoodle at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 13:30:05 EDT 2010

Well i recently got bitten by a small issue where the Acme BCP setting
in the media manager for "Max Signaling Bandwidth" wasn't high enough to
support our burst traffic, so it would drop signaling traffic during
spikes. Of course this is a global setting so the traffic that it
dropped was not even isolated to a single realm, but across the entire
SD, and would often include keep-alive traffic. All the traffic policing
in the media manager is implemented in the network processor so short of
being in full debug mode, it generates absolutely no messages at all
that it is doing this. Traffic just goes into a black hole and peers
seem to fall off the earth for a while. Of course those thinking
creatively will quickly realize this will generate retransmissions,
which will drive up the signaling traffic and make the problem worse.

I'm not saying this is your issue, but i chased BGP updates, upstream
routing issues, switching issues, solar flares, etc forever trying to
figure out what would cause this. Once i figured out this was the
problem i just cranked the setting to max, and let my trust mode
settings handle DOS protection, since its realm specific and far better
suited to the task.