[VoiceOps] New to VoIP

Matthew S. Crocker matthew at corp.crocker.com
Mon Jun 21 13:38:23 EDT 2010

Everything is software, a 'Session Border Controller' is software.  All software needs some hardware to run on.  You can get a SBC that runs on Linux/PC server based hardware or you can get a SBC that runs on dedicated hardware.  Your softswitch is going to need several servers to run on as well.  The smallest Broasoft/Broadworks implementation is 2 servers for the softswitch running virtual servers and 2 SBC (Acme Packet). You can't get into that type of a setup anywhere near $50,000 though.

For 2000 subscribers I would highly recommend you partner with an existing VoIP provider and resell their service.  They can handle all of the VoIP heavy lifting and send you the Call Detail Records which you can then use to bill.

If you want to do it yourself you'll probably have to live in the open source world to keep below the $50,000 limit.