[VoiceOps] Handling complaints against customers

anorexicpoodle anorexicpoodle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 21:40:13 EDT 2010

While IANAL and anything from this point on should be understood to
reflect only my meandering experience and not any actual facts; that
said, my response to this sort of thing is typically:

1: Is this behavior illegal?

2: Is this behavior forbidden in the TOS?

3: Is this behavior potentially harmful to the network?

If the answer to all of those was NO, i would politely tell the
complaining party that you are a carrier and do not police the content
of the traffic that crosses your network, and their best bet would be to
file a complaint with their local police dept and/or pursue the issue by
blocking the calls at their carrier (you could of course offer to become
their carrier and block the calls :) )

As always since I don't know the exact scope of the infraction its hard
to say but thats the general thought process I follow when handling
claims of this type. Of course if any of the 3 questions are answered
with yes then your course of action should be self-evident.

Just remember to take all your local laws and regulations into account
before acting at all, and also since you are a voip carrier also
consider the local laws where the subscriber and complaining party might
be located.

-anorexicpoodle