[VoiceOps] Looking for Opinions on DASH e911 service

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Thu Mar 11 11:19:45 EST 2010

There's nothing unfair about this criticism, and nothing generalized
about it.

We've used carriers we partnered with in the past where this exact
circumstance occurred.

Having a college kid call 911 from their dorm room and having someone at
"northern 911" tell them they can't route the 911 call without knowing
the zipcode because their database malfunctioned, and they were somehow
unable to figure out where to route the call based on the ANI (there's
only one PSAP in that tiny region), then to find out they don't have
direct trunking there, so they call in on an administrative line at the
county sheriff's office, with no screen pop is not fun.

Treat 911 as strictly a cost center where there's an opportunity for
savings at your own peril. People place their trust in this stuff to
just work, and in you to deliver it. Third parties are fine, but know
how they route, how they handle NRFs and how they handle ANI/ALI
failures because if you get one complaint like this, there's probably a
lot more lurking beneath the surface than you think.

-Paul