[VoiceOps] American Idol 800 Numbers

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 7 18:38:22 EDT 2010

On 05 May 2010 18:50, Carlos Alcantar wrote:

> So last night I was looking around our calls flowing thru our switch
> noticed a big spike in calls going to toll free numbers figured out it
> was American idol.  I started digging deeper and I noticed that none
> of these calls where getting a connected status back from American
> idol.  I did some random test to the different numbers and confirmed
> was never getting a connection status back.  I also went ahead and
> tested from an att / Verizon cell phones and in both cases the cell
> phone still saying calling while it was playing back the American idol
> msg.  so if I’m reading everything that I have collected correctly
> American idol is basically using our resources without having to
> compensate all the different carries for the calls.  Anyone else
> seeing this?

It is fairly standard practice for toll-free numbers with a non-trivial
volume to not "connect" the call until an actual human answers; all of
the recorded messages, menus, etc. are actually done via ring-back.
This is why, if you have your phone/gateway/etc. ring-back timers set
below 3-5 minutes, or some bug is preventing proper handling of
ring-back media (in both directions, so DTMF gets through), you will get
inundated with user complaints that don't seem to make a lot of sense.