[VoiceOps] Outbound Caller-ID Name Issue on Certain Carriers

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Oct 6 17:33:49 EDT 2010

On 10/06/2010 05:29 PM, Christian Pena wrote:

>   We are having increasing numbers of complaints from our users that
> they make outbound calls and the far end sees the incorrect calling
> party name.
>
> We have "ABC Company" loaded into the CNAM DB , we make test calls to
> a local LEC line and the correct name shows up. That same customer
> calls a Comcast, MetroPCS, Vonage, etc number and the far end sees
> "Dominos Pizza"(for example).
>
> I have been putting out dozens of fires with these terminating
> carriers for a couple of weeks, they find the problem and fix it and
> we move forward. This is normal business but have seen an enormous
> increase in these kind of reports from customers.
>
> Anyone else out there seeing this kind of issue recently?

Yeah, not everybody uses the same CNAM lookup providers, and there's a
lot of caching going on.

Characteristically, the most accurate and up-to-date database is the
one the ILEC uses;  many of these VoIP ITSPs and CLECs use other third
parties, and either they or the third party do a fair bit of caching
and questionable update processes to save money on CNAM dips.

The whole thing's pretty stupid;  it should just be canceled.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC