[VoiceOps] SIP Trunk service for 706-778

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 20 23:16:11 EDT 2012

On 08/20/2012 11:10 PM, Matt Yaklin wrote:

> I figured someone in this list from telcodata could swing it.
> There are cell phone companies and a couple of CLECs like ALEC LLC
> (IBBS.com I think they are).
>
> And Windstream cannot possibly block a port to a cell phone company.
> I though the FCC solved that issue years ago. Right?
>
> http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=CORNELIA&state=GA
>

> But I am way up here in NH with a single area code for the whole
> state. Things are simpler here.

Portability happens within rate centres, not area codes.  In many places
in the country, those usefully overlap, but not all.

For instance, here in Georgia, the NPA 706 is split across three
geographically disparate regions, two of them in LATA 438, and one of
them in LATA 442 (Augusta).

Thus, in order to be able to port a number to a different carrier, the
receiving carrier needs to be interconnected in the right LATA, to the
right ILEC, and have trunks on that interconnect to the right tandem to
which the switch(es) in that rate centre are homed.  It's not just a
matter of operating in the same state, or in the same NPA.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC