[VoiceOps] SIP Trunk service for 706-778

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Mon Aug 20 23:26:30 EDT 2012

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Alex Balashov wrote:

> On 08/20/2012 11:10 PM, Matt Yaklin wrote:
>
>> I figured someone in this list from telcodata could swing it.
>> There are cell phone companies and a couple of CLECs like ALEC LLC
>> (IBBS.com I think they are).
>>
>> And Windstream cannot possibly block a port to a cell phone company.
>> I though the FCC solved that issue years ago. Right?
>>
>> http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=CORNELIA&state=GA
>>

>> But I am way up here in NH with a single area code for the whole
>> state. Things are simpler here.
>
> Portability happens within rate centres, not area codes.  In many places in
> the country, those usefully overlap, but not all.
>
> For instance, here in Georgia, the NPA 706 is split across three
> geographically disparate regions, two of them in LATA 438, and one of them in
> LATA 442 (Augusta).
>
> Thus, in order to be able to port a number to a different carrier, the
> receiving carrier needs to be interconnected in the right LATA, to the right
> ILEC, and have trunks on that interconnect to the right tandem to which the
> switch(es) in that rate centre are homed.  It's not just a matter of
> operating in the same state, or in the same NPA.

Thanks for the explanation.

So there might be a small chance a cell phone company may go through
all the trouble but not a CLEC which would find it unprofitable?

Here in NH if you have ORIG/TERM/IXC/911 trunks from FP in Manchester and
Dover you are all set. Plus some SS7 and LD trunks.

Only a few handful of small independent ILECs left here which serve such a
tiny amount of people we probably never ran into this problem yet. The
whole yokel thing. But I would have to talk to my boss to get a clearer
picture of what problems we would run into trying to get a SIP trunk into
their territory.

matt